Greetings and welcome to 2020!!!!!
As a avid creator of vision boards and affirmations, which I update on a regular basis throughout the year, New Years Resolutions haven’t featured in my life in the past few years.
But one thing I have been learning more about and encouraging in others, is the practice of expressing gratitude.
On this date every year, millions of people are creating New years Resolutions, many of which are focusing on things we want to add to our life, from habits, physical possessions, people, qualifications, achievements and more. Whilst I highly recommend setting goals to achieve more, this is also a great time to actively express gratitude to those who’ve helped you get to where you are right now.
One of the quotes I love from my Happiness Planner on gratitude is:
“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what you have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion in clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.” Melody Beattie
So I’d like you to join me in:
The Naturally You New Year Gratitude Challenge
All you have to do is
1. List 9 people who have positively influenced your life, helped you when they didn’t have too, went out of their way for you or in ANY WAY assisted in your growth and happiness in the last 12 months
2. Contact them, say thank you
3. Ask them if there’s anything that YOU can do to help THEM
Aim to contact all 9 people before the end of January and please share the challenge and even tag others into it, so the gratitude challenge can spread.
If you choose to do it, please tag me in (IG @naturallyyoucoach) as I’d love to see all the people you tag who’ve helped you this year.
If your first thoughts are…
“OMG I don’t want to do 9 favors for people”
“That’s just long, I have better things to do with my time”
or “What they did wasn’t THAT great that I need to reciprocate”
… then feel free to click away from this page and enjoy the rest of your day
If any part of you sees why this simple act, can create an amazing avalanche of
positive energy exchanges
bonding and joy
… then let me give you a few tips to help you do it.
Finding Your 9 People
* To find your 9 people, think of all the times in the last 12 months you’ve felt happy, grateful, motivated or inspired and think back to whose action or presence was responsible for that feeling.
* Think of people whose one off big actions impacted you, but PLEASE don’t forget to include those whose constant everyday smaller actions have made your life easier and happier ( your husband who looks after the children when you look tired, your wife who always makes sure there’s food on the table when you get home, your children who come and give you a kiss and hug each night before bed, your co worker who always covers for you when you need to leave early to attend to emergencies, your brother who always records the football game for you if you can’t, your aunty who calls you every 8 weeks to make sure you’re ok, your neighbour who will always feed your cat when you go away, I think you get the picture)
* it can also include people or groups you don’t know personally but follow remotely like bloggers, YouTubers, speakers, teachers, coaches, advocates, activists, a businesses, an organisations etc, who’ve impacted your life with their work in some way this past year. It could be your mechanic, graphic designer, doctor, fitness instructor, dentist, boss, employee, your child’s teacher, you local charity shop, your local food bank, hair dresser or anyone else.
Ways Of Contacting Them
You can simply send them an email, Instagram or Facebook message, post on their wall, comment under their posts, send them a Tweet, WhatsApp them, text them or even call them.
Even though modern technology is an amazing thing, a phone call, Skype call, Skype video call, hand written and posted letter or face to face meeting are much more personal.
Ways To Say Thank You
A simple thank you is more than enough, but if you can do more, don’t let anything stop you.
If you can buy a thank you card, a cute post card, flowers, their favorite magazine, a good book (even a kindle), handmake something for them , send them a sample of products you make, a copy of a book you’ve written, a discount on services you offer, a free ticket to an event you’re holding and the list goes on.
Things You Can Do For Them
Even though it’s really up to them what they ask of you, keep in mind that you can offer them what you know you can give also. A listening ear, some advice, helping them promote themselves of their business, putting them in contact with people you know who could help them in some way are all great things you can offer them if you want to.
Of course you should only do what you feel comfortable doing so these are just some suggestions to get you thinking, but whatever you decide, start ASAP.
If you accept the gratitude challenge and want to share your progress with it, please add #LeahsGratitudeChallenge to your social media and online posts so an can share them on my page we can all work together and showing love and gratitude.
Please Share This Page & Spread The Love
Take care and stay healthy
The Naturally You Coach
About the Author: Leah Salmon, The Naturally You Coach, is a bestselling author, speaker, nutritionist, live blood analyst and life coach, focused on womb & pregnancy health and premature birth prevention & on a mission to help 100,000 black women to eat for health, think for happiness and live in harmony by 2020 or what she calls Becoming Naturally You. She does this through her clinic, books, programs, coaching, events, workshops, videos, articles and a free weekly ezine.