This product is currently unavailable, please join the mailing list to find out when it’s back in stock.
New Bigger 55g Packs
Biodegradable & resealable packaging
Recipe Sheet with each order
Single packs or 5 & 10 pack discounted bundles available
Cut Dried (Irish) Sea Moss (Carrageen) is a type of seaweed and can be used to add nutrients to fruit smoothies, nut milks and ice creams, it’s used as a thickening and gelling agent to make vegan cheesecakes, mouses and other desserts .
It is a naturally occurring source of iodine and carrageen and it is rich in vitamins, minerals, particularly potassium chloride.
The late great Dr Sebi spoke on several occasions about the health benefits of sea moss due to the 92 nutrients found within it.
How To Make Sea Moss Gel
1. Soak the dry moss in plenty of water for 4-24hrs then rinse 3-4 times and drain.
2. You should end up with approx 3 & 1/2 cups of sea moss. Put this in a pan with the same amount of boiling water (3 & 1/2 cups) and then simmer for 10mins with the lid off and stirring occasionally.
3. Let the mixture cool for a while, then pour all the contents into a blender and blend into a thick, smooth gel.
4. Pour into a glass jar and once cooled in the fridge you’ll have a thick Irish moss gel. This should produce about 3 cups of gel which is about 21 rounded tablespoons. 1-2 spoons a day is a good amount to start with.
5. You can blend this gel with coconut milk, a spoon of your favourite nut or seed butter (tahini, almond butter etc), linseed (flaxseed), mixed spice, banana (plus a sweetener like honey or maple syrup) into a yummy smoothie. Or you can add it to a fruit or green smoothie for a nutrient boost.
Note: (Irish) Sea moss/Carrageen is not to be confused with Carrageenan. Carrageenan is an extract taken from Irish moss and used in processed food – this extract is heated and processed with other chemicals. Therefore, the nutritional properties are damaged and this becomes a different substance from pure (Irish) Sea Moss (Carrageen).
Here’s a quick video of our pre-breakfast sea moss smoothie or snack recipe